Many residential fires are caused by electricity. Sometimes it is due to faulty wiring, but a lot of times it is due to improper usage of electrical outlets. There are a few tips and warnings to follow to prevent falling victim and extinguishing an electrical fire.
Do not overload the circuit with adapter after adapter. If you have ever seen National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, the way Clark Griswald has the Christmas lights plugged in is a great example of how not to do it. Too many electronics plugging into one outlet can overload the circuit and cause an electrical fire.
Never plug a damaged electronic device in. One of two things can potentially happen here. The first possibility is that the broken gadget shorts out completely and catches fire. The second possibility is that is creates a short in the wiring for the house and causes a larger fire.
Good housekeeping is a great way to prevent an electrical fire. Dust and dirt can get into electrical outlets, creating a short and causing a fire.
Low hanging light bulbs, like in the garage or basement, are easy hit and broken. This isn’t really a big deal unless the bulb is hit hard enough that the electrical wires inside the bulb touch a piece of dry wood, and then a fire may occur.
Always have all circuits connected to a circuit breaker or fuse. Never bypass this process as these components break the circuit is a fault is found to help prevent a fire. If a circuit breaker keeps popping, this means there is a problem somewhere, not that it needs bypassed.
Lastly, if an electrical fire does occur, make certain you are using a proper extinguisher to put it out. Only use an extinguisher with a Class C rating. Any other extinguisher may be water-based and you could be shocked.